And I have. I’m currently watching the David Tennant specials before watching his final episode as the 10th Doctor before Matt Smith takes over as the 11th Doctor. And I’ve been absolutely loving this show!! I’ve been watching 3 or 4 episodes per day, as Netflix is removing all Doctor Who (and Torchwood!) at the end of the month. Stupid, stupid Netflix. So right now I have maybe 3 more specials to watch plus Series 5 of Matt Smith’s Doctor Who run.
Some of my thoughts regarding Doctor Who:
• David Tennant is my Doctor. While I quickly grew to like Christopher Eccleston as the 9th Doctor, he only had one season. And when it comes to outer space episodes, I much prefer Christopher Eccleston, yet I prefer David Tennant on Earth. Eccleston was first the bad guy from 28 Days Later to me, so I had a tough time accepting him as an extraterrestial time traveler. He was just some guy in a leather jacket. David Tennant seems more “doctorish” to me.
• Martha Jones is my favorite companion so far. She is stunning, brilliant, fantastic, funny, and keeps on coming back.
• Rose Tyler is an interesting character, but it took me a while to get past the spoiled blonde girl look, yet near the end of Series 4, she really comes back with a vengeance.
• Captain Jack Harkness is awesome. Which probably says something about me, but I’m not sure what. I wouldn’t change a thing about him.
• Weeping Angels. Daleks. The Pit. These are my favorite villains.
This show is getting under my skin. I don’t know if I’m going to become obsessed with Doctor Who like so many currently are, especially since I don’t much care for Matt Smith or really any of the new cast with the exception of River Song. I was pretty mad when Martha Jones left, especially since I really really disliked Donna Noble in her first appearance, but their decision to rein the character in a bit was quite good.
I like this show. I really do. Doctor Who is brilliant tv that fills the void American television has had lately. I’m glad I finally took a chance on it. I remember seeing Doctor Who books all the time in libraries growing up, but it just seemed some cheesy, weird space Sherlock Holmes type of thing. And I guess it kinda is. But not this Doctor. Not this Who. This stuff is brilliant!